The region’s leading geospatial event has adopted a new format for its rescheduled annual conference, now happening 29 March – 1 April 2021.
After rapid pivoting and planning driven by the uncertainty of Covid-19, Locate’s organisers have announced a new format for the 2021 event.
Locate21 will take place as a hybrid model, combining in-person and virtual events at Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre — Locate’s original home — and other live sites around Australia, according to co-convenor and Locate board director, Paul Reed.
“Wherever there is a large geospatial or surveying community such as Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Tasmania as well as New Zealand we will be aiming to activate a live site,” he said.]
“The live sites will be a place for people to gather in satellite events that tune into the main event, while also delivering local content and networking opportunities.”
Paul says the 2021 program will feature 4 days of virtual presentations, and 2 days of live events on Tuesday 30th and Wednesday 31st March which include:
- Program content running between 1030 – 1530 AEST each day
- Optional in person workshops and smaller sub events offered in the live sites
- All aspects of the program will be accessible virtually for those who cannot access a live site & all content will be recorded and available for viewing post event.
- Asia Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards (APSEA) presented virtually on Wed 31 March and broadcast to the live sites where drinks & catering will be provided to those who purchase a ticket
- Plenary speakers presenting live from the live sites, which will be broadcast virtually and to other live sites
First plenaries for Locate21 were announced last week.
Mr. Reed said that despite the extra work, he was proud of the team and committee’s innovation and flexibility in approaching the creation of this new form of event.
“We all agree that now, perhaps more than ever, it is imperative that the surveying and geospatial community have the opportunity to connect, share, and continue to grow as more and more people lean on geospatial data to plan and live, and believe this innovative event model will allow us put on a multi-faceted, dynamic & safe event for all to enjoy,” he said.
An early bird registration offer is currently available at the Locate21 conference website.
Stay up to date by getting stories like this delivered to your mailbox.
Sign up to receive our free weekly Spatial Source newsletter.